Search our site
News and Events
Stay up-to-date with Ashdown Forest...
- Result of the Election of a Commoner Conservator on 03 March 2017 here
- Commoners AGM Presentation 2017 here
- FAMILY BUG DAY - Saturday 8th April
- Ashdown Forest Centre
- 11:00am to 12:45pm or
- 1:15pm to 3:00pm
- Bug Hunting in the Forest
- Creating giant sculptures with natural materials
- Bug model from clay, wires and paints
- More information here
- NIGHTJAR SUNSET BIRD WALKS
- Monday 19 June 2017
- Monday 26 June 2017
- Thursday 6 July 2017
- Join us out on the Forest around dusk with one of our Voluntary Rangers (an experienced birdwatcher) to hear and hopefully see the elusive and mysterious Nightjar. Assemble 21.10 hrs. for 21.15 prompt start. More information here.
- DAWN CHORUS BIRD WALKS 2017
- Thursday 20 April 2017 (Fully Booked)
- Saturday 6 May 2017 (Fully Booked)
- Thursday 18 May 2017 (Spaces on Waiting List)
- A wonderful chance to take an early morning (06.40 to 08.40) walk on the Forest led by a Voluntary Ranger. There are a limited number of spaces, so please book early.
- NEW BRIDGE - The bridge between Braeberrys Gate drive and the ponds has been replaced. Thank you to the anonymous donor and East Sussex Right of Way for their help delivering the bridge and with the installation.
- QUEEN'S AWARD FOR VOLUNTARY SERVICE 2016 - The Conservators of Ashdown Forest has been honoured with the Queen’s Award for Voluntary Service, the highest award for voluntary service a group can receive in the UK. More information and photos can be viewed here.
- LIVESTOCK ON THE FOREST
The Conservators sheep are now off the Forest. The Commoner farmer has removed his sheep from the grazing area but is still trying to locate 3 cows.
The Conservators cattle will remain on the Forest throughout winter, in the Trees enclosure, behind Millbrook West car park (A22).
To view a map showing the grazing enclosures please click here.
For advice on walkers' safety around livestock please click here.
- GOVERNANCE OF ASHDOWN FOREST - 2016 REVIEW
Message from the Chair of the Board of Conservators - please click here
For more information relating to the Governance Review please click here
- ASHDOWN FOREST CONSERVATION MANAGEMENT PLAN 2016-2020
- Annual Report 2015-2016
- Strategic Plan 2016-2020
- Latest News
- Up-coming Events & Exhibitions
- Friends of Ashdown Forest
A Year in the Life of Ashdown Forest
A gorgeous film, produced by the Friends of Ashdown Forest, giving a 'behind the scenes' look at just what it takes to manage and maintain the Forest in the 21st Century. To view the film click here or visit our YouTube Channel. (Released December 2013)
Discover more at Ashdown Forest...
Originally a deer hunting forest in Norman times, Ashdown Forest is now one of the largest free public access space in the South East. It is a great place for walking and enjoying spectacular views over the Sussex countryside and is known the world over as the 'home' of Winnie-the-Pooh.
The Forest is at the heart of the High Weald Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty and has national and international protection because of its wildlife. Nearly two thirds of its 6500 acres (2500 hectares) are heathland, amounting to 2.5% of the UK's extent of this rare habitat. How to get to Ashdown Forest
The Forest Centre is the headquarters of the Conservators of Ashdown Forest who are responsible for the management the Forest. It is the best starting point for finding out about the Forest, what you can see, and where you can go.
- Phone us on 01342 823583
- E-mail us at [email protected]
- Postcode: RH18 5JP
- The Forest Centre - Office, Information Barn and Education Barn
- Meet the Ashdown Forest Staff
- Ashdown Forest Life Magazine
INFORMATION BARN OPENING HOURS:
1st October - 31st March
Weekends Only: 11am-5pm
Address: Ashdown Forest Centre, Wych Cross, Forest Row, Sussex, RH18 5JP.
Summer Opening Hours start from Monday 3rd April 2017.
SHEEP PROOF YOUR DOG TRAINING
- Tuesday 9th May (Fully Booked)
- Tuesday 16th May (Fully Booked)
- Tuesday 5th September (Spaces)
- Tuesday 19th September (Spaces)
Time: 20 minute training slots available throughout the day from 09:20 to 16:00
Price: One dog per slot. £25 per dog, payable a month in advance.
Location: Cats Protection, Chelwood Gate, Haywards Heath RH17 7TT
To book, please email: [email protected].
We will need: Name, Dog Breed, Phone Number, Email, Time and Date.
********** NEW PARENT/CARER & TODDLER GROUP ***********
A group for children aged 2-5 years - join us to explore the wonderful wildlife of Ashdown Forest
Every 3rd Monday of the month (except Easter Monday 17th April).
This month's Toddler Group has been moved to Monday 24th April.
Monday 24th April:
10am - 11.30am - Spaces
1pm to 2:30pm - Spaces
£5 per family - booking essential
For more details click here
New Arrival!! ASHDOWN CALLUNA Born 28th February 2017
A White Galloway Calf