There are many excellent exhibitions and events held on the Forest through the year. These range from photographic and historical exhibitions to guided walks to family fun days. To be sure not to miss out check out our listings.
- PARENT/CARER & TODDLER GROUP - every 3rd Monday of the month. Click here for further details
- SUMMER HOLIDAY PLAYSCHEME: 22nd - 24th August. Click here for further details
- DAWN CHORUS BIRD WALKS 2016 (fully booked)
NIGHTJAR SUNSET BIRD WALKS 2016 (fully booked)
Photograph of the male Dartford Warbler taken on a Dawn Chorus walk by group member Tom Lee.
REPORT FROM DAWN CHORUS WALK - 19th MAY
We returned again to Stonehill and it again proved productive. One or two male Cuckoos called from birch woods on the edges of the open heath for most of our two-hour walk. The group were lucky again to hear and see Dartford Warblers on at least two separate occasions. A pair of Woodlarks flew up from a grassy area at the bottom of the hill. A male Reed Bunting with smart black & white head, showed well on gorse as did several Stonechats and many Linnets. Several Willow Warblers entertained us with their song. Thirty-two different species of birds were seen in all, together with a number of Fallow Deer in the gorse & heather.
Clive Poole led the walk assisted by Julia Fairhall and Roger Grey.
- Thursday 23 June 2016 - 21.00 for 21.10 prompt start
- Monday 4 July 2016 - 21.00 for 21.10 prompt start
- Thursday 14 July 2016 - 21.00 for 21.10 prompt start
Join us out on the Forest around dusk with one of our Voluntary Rangers (an experienced birdwatcher) to hear and hopefully see the elusive and mysterious Nightjar, a rare bird of English folklore which comes to the heathland of Ashdown Forest each summer from Africa and makes display flights soon after sunset.
6th May to 30th September - Trees, Light and Skies by Sally Scott.