Search our site
News and Events
Stay up-to-date with Ashdown Forest...
- COMMERCIAL FILMING
- All moving films, for television (for whatever purpose) and cinema or action shots for magazines, require written permission and there is a scale of charges which can be viewed here. Please contact the Office and we will try to help.
- Application form here
- COMMERICAL DOG WALKING
- The Commercial Dog Walking Licence costs £100 per annum and runs from 01 April. Licenced Commercial Dog Walkers are issued with badges, so they can be identified.
- Application form here
- TEDDY BEARS PICNIC - Wednesday 31st May
- Friends of Ashdown Forest are organising a Teddy Bears Picnic on Wednesday 31st May at 2pm at the Forest Centre. We will also be launching our new Audio Explore tour.
- More information here.
- TESCO - #BagsofHelp Initiative!
- Our project has been shortlisted for a public vote in Tesco’s #BagsofHelp initiative! Please vote in store (Forest Row and Crowborough), for us to win the top prize!
- More information here
- POP-UP CAFE - May Bank Holiday Weekend
- Open 11am to 4:00pm
- Saturday 27th, Sunday 28th and Monday 29th May.
- POET WALK - 22nd August 2017
- Between10.30am and 1.30pm.
- Write for a while, go for a walk, then write about the walk. If there is time we look at a nature poem or two.
- Meet in the Lancaster room at the Ashdown Forest Centre.
- Please contact the office to book at [email protected]
- NIGHTJAR SUNSET BIRD WALKS
- Monday 19 June 2017 (Fully booked)
- Monday 26 June 2017 (Fully booked)
- Thursday 6 July 2017 (Waiting list)
- Join us out on the Forest around dusk with one of our Voluntary Rangers (an experienced birdwatcher) to hear and hopefully see the elusive and mysterious Nightjar. Assemble 21.10 hrs. for 21.15 prompt start. More information here.
- DAWN CHORUS BIRD WALKS 2017
- Report & Species seen on the third Dawn Chorus Walk on Thursday 18 May 2017 here.
- NEW BRIDGE - The bridge between Braeberrys Gate drive and the ponds has been replaced. Thank you to the anonymous donor and East Sussex Right of Way for their help delivering the bridge and with the installation.
- QUEEN'S AWARD FOR VOLUNTARY SERVICE 2016 - The Conservators of Ashdown Forest has been honoured with the Queen’s Award for Voluntary Service, the highest award for voluntary service a group can receive in the UK. More information and photos can be viewed here.
- LIVESTOCK ON THE FOREST
- Sheep and cattle will be roaming freely on the Forest from Friday 7th April 2017.
- The Conservators cattle will remain on the Forest in the Trees enclosure, behind Millbrook West car park (A22).
- To view a map showing the grazing enclosures please click here.
- For advice on walkers' safety around livestock please click here.
- GOVERNANCE OF ASHDOWN FOREST - 2016 REVIEW
- Message from the Chair of the Board of Conservators - please click here
- For more information relating to the Governance Review please click here
- ASHDOWN FOREST CONSERVATION MANAGEMENT PLAN 2016-2020
- Executive Summary
- Document in full (148 pages - 5.2MB)
- Annual Report 2015-2016
- Strategic Plan 2016-2020
- Latest News
- Up-coming Events & Exhibitions
- Friends of Ashdown Forest
A Year in the Life of Ashdown Forest
A gorgeous film, produced by the Friends of Ashdown Forest, giving a 'behind the scenes' look at just what it takes to manage and maintain the Forest in the 21st Century. To view the film click here or visit our YouTube Channel. (Released December 2013)
Discover more at Ashdown Forest...
Originally a deer hunting forest in Norman times, Ashdown Forest is now one of the largest free public access space in the South East. It is a great place for walking and enjoying spectacular views over the Sussex countryside and is known the world over as the 'home' of Winnie-the-Pooh.
The Forest is at the heart of the High Weald Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty and has national and international protection because of its wildlife. Nearly two thirds of its 6500 acres (2500 hectares) are heathland, amounting to 2.5% of the UK's extent of this rare habitat. How to get to Ashdown Forest
The Forest Centre is the headquarters of the Conservators of Ashdown Forest who are responsible for the management the Forest. It is the best starting point for finding out about the Forest, what you can see, and where you can go.
- Phone us on 01342 823583
- E-mail us at [email protected]
- Postcode: RH18 5JP
- Postcodes for car parks here
- The Forest Centre - Office, Information Barn and Education Barn
- Meet the Ashdown Forest Staff
- Ashdown Forest Life Magazine
INFORMATION BARN OPENING HOURS:
3rd April to 30th September 2017
Address: Ashdown Forest Centre, Wych Cross, Forest Row, Sussex, RH18 5JP.
Winter Opening Hours start from Sunday 1st October 2017.
Broadstone car park (RH18 5JP) should be used by larger coaches. It is 20meters East along Ridge Road just past the Ashdown Forest Centre. Broadstone car park is 1 minute walk to the Forest Centre.
Minibus parking is available at the Forest Centre. Coaches must not park at the Forest Centre.
Coaches must not pull into the Forest Centre yard as this is used by heavy machinery and is unsafe for members of the public.
SHEEP & CATTLE - Friday 7th April 2017
Sheep and cattle will be roaming freely on the Forest from Friday 7th April 2017. Please close all gates. Dogs must be kept under proper control at all times. A dog attacking or chasing livestock could be shot.
Last year, dogs killed or injured 25 sheep on the Forest. If you see an injured animal or a dog chasing livestock, please ring the Forest Centre - 01342 823583.
SHEEP PROOF YOUR DOG TRAINING
- Tuesday 5th September (Waiting List)
- Tuesday 19th September (Spaces)
Time: 20 minute training slots available throughout the day from 09:20 to 16:00
Price: One dog per slot. £25 per dog, payable a month in advance.
Location: Cats Protection, Chelwood Gate, Haywards Heath RH17 7TT
To book, please email: [email protected].
We will need: Name, Dog Breed, Phone Number, Email, Time and Date.
********** NEW PARENT/CARER & TODDLER GROUP ***********
A group for children aged 2-5 years - join us to explore the wonderful wildlife of Ashdown Forest
Every 3rd Monday of the month.
This month's Toddler Group is Monday 19th June:
10am to 11.30am - Spaces
1pm to 2:30pm - Spaces
£5 per family - booking essential
For more details click here
Next month's Toddler Group is Monday 17th July 2017, then 21st August.
New Arrival!! A Black Galloway Bull Calf Born 5th April 2017
New Arrival!! ASHDOWN CALLUNA Born 28th February 2017
A White Galloway Calf